Requirements & Application
- In order to apply for any of the apprenticeship programs an applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Be a high school graduate or possess a GED.
- Be a resident of the United States.
- Be physically capable of performing the tasks required by the trade (climbing ladders, carrying over 50 lbs., good hand-eye coordination, etc.).
- Have reliable transportation.
- Complete written application (see link below).
- In addition to the completed application provide the following :
- 3 letters of reference from non-family members dated within 6 months of your application (letters can come from friends, work mates, employers, teachers, etc. and must be signed by the person recommending
- 2 forms of identification (typically a driver’s license and social security card-see written application for details).
- A copy of a high school diploma or GED.
- Applicants for the Electrical Program must also take a CNM (Central NM Community College) Accuplacer test in mathematics. You must place in either Math 0750 or higher to be considered for the ABC Electrical Program.
Once the ABC office has received your application and necessary paperwork, an interview will be scheduled with the respective trade committee. Committees meet once a month to interview applicants for the apprenticeship program. Applicants must score a minimum of 60 points or higher to be eligible to be placed on the ranking list. Individuals are ranked according to score, highest to lowest. After ensuring that all registered out-of-work apprentices are placed with an ABC company then those on the ranking list will be placed in order of score as we receive calls from ABC members requesting workers. If you do not return ABC’s call within 24 hours, you will be skipped over and the next applicant on the ranking list will be contacted. If you have not been placed with an ABC member company within 6 months, you will be asked to re-interview. Many applicants use this time to improve their qualifications and experience. During the time your name is on the ranking list, you must keep ABC informed of any change to your phone number or address.
Your acceptance into the ABC Apprenticeship Program will depend on your ability to meet the employment requirements of the member company to which you are referred for on-the-job training. You must be willing to submit to drug screening and a background that are required by some ABC employers.
ABC is not an employment agency nor is this a guarantee of employment.
Click here to download application