ABC NM Supports the following:
- Reforming the nation's immigration policy to facilitate a sustainable workforce for the American economy while ensuring national safety.
- Securing the nation's borders and enforcing current immigration laws.
- Creating a workable and reliable system that can be used by both large and small employers to determine an employee's legal status.
ABC NM Opposes the following:
- Any policy that shifts the burden of policing citizenship documentation, such as Social Security cards and driver's licenses to employers.
- Making E-Verify permanent and mandating that all employers use the program. ABC National has submitted to Congress several issues with E-Verify that must be addressed prior to the program becoming a permanent fixture in the American Economy.
What is E-Verify?
E-Verify is a system that electronically verifies the employment eligibility of newly hired employees. E-Verify allows participating employers to electronically compare employee information taken from the I-9 form against more than 425 million records in the Social Security Administration's database and more than 60 million records in the Dept. of Homeland Security's immigration databases. ABC supports this as a "voluntary" program only. However, there are a number of problems with the functionality and accuracy of the system that could potentially expose employers acting in good faith to legal liability.